Although I am far from being a pastry Chef or do I have a desire to be one. I do have a few desserts I like to make this being one of them. I make them in coffee cups, and serve cold.
- 6 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup of sugar
- 2 cups of half and half or heavy whipping cream
- 2oz bittersweet chocolate chips or shaved
- 6 coffee cups or similar
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees
- Whisk egg yolks and sugar to combine
- Place half and half or cream in a small sauce pan and bring to a simmer
- Add chocolate to the cream mixture and stir until chocolate melts
- Slowly add the hot cream to the egg mixture
- Strain into a bowl
- Allow it to sit for a few minutes and then skim off any leftover foam with a large spoon
- Fill the coffee cups with 1/2 of a cup each of the mixture
- Place cups in a pan big enough to leave room in between them, and fill pan with hot water half way up the coffee cups
Bake for 35 to 40 minutes. The custards should still shake in the middle a bit when done but well be set. Let them rest for 20 minutes at room temperature. Chill for at least 1 to 2 hours before you serve them.