(For a friend first one posted) Classic French Soup can be served cold or hot.
- 4 oz Cold butter
- 1 lbs Leek whites, chopped and rinsed
- 1/2 lbs Yellow onion, sliced thin
- 3 lbs Red potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 Bouquet Garni (Thyme Bay leaf, peppercorn, wrapped in cheesecloth or a coffee filter)
- 2 qt chicken stock
- Pinch Cayenne
- 1/2 tsp. Salt
- Sweat leeks and onions in butter.
- Add potatoes, stock and sachet.
- Season with salt (may need more salt, depending on the strength of your stock, if using store bought there will be enough) and cayenne pepper.
- Bring to a boil and simmer until potatoes are tender, about 30 – 40 minutes.
- Puree and cool.
- 1/2 qt Vichy Base
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup half & half
- Salt and White Pepper to taste
Mix well,then refrigerate.
If soup is thicker then your liking add more cream slowly whisking in. Serve in bowl garnish with chopped chives.