- one 13 Pound turkey thawed
- 1/4 Cup dried basil
- 1/4 Cup kosher salt
- 1/4 Cup fresh black pepper
- 1 Head garlic peeled and rough chopped
- 6oz Room temperature butter
- 2 Cups chicken stock or water
- Thaw turkey under refrigeration for 3 to 4 days if frozen
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Remove neck from the back of the turkey and the gizzard, liver and heart for the front. Save for the gravy
- Cut tips of the wings off and save with the neck and other parts for the gravy
- Place turkey in large roasting pan on a grate (if you don’t have a grate not a big deal).
- Season the cavity of the turkey with salt and pepper
- Using your fingers gently pull up on the skin on the top side of the turkey, so you can put your fingers under it.
- Rub 1/2 of the basil, salt, pepper, and all of the garlic under the skin on the breast of the turkey
- Cut half of the butter and put it under the skin
- Rub the other half of the butter on the skin side of the turkey, and season with the other half of the seasonings.
- Pour 2 cups of chicken stock in the roasting pan under turkey
- Cover with aluminum foil
Roast turkey in oven for 3 to 3.5 hours (oven temperatures do vary so yours may take a little longer or less). For the last 30 to 45 minutes of cooking uncover the turkey so it will brown. Turn the pan in the oven 3 or 4 time to get a nice even brown. Use a temperature probe to insure the temp of the bird is 165 degrees (you can use the little pop up deal if you want, but it will cook your turkey to 185 degrees and dry it out) Once you have the proper temperature. Let the bird sit at room temperature of 20 to 30 minutes before carving. Easy Breezy!